Monday, October 11, 2010

Assignment 1- Adapting a Short Story

The story that I've chosen was Kate Chopin's, "Story of an Hour"

Page 1 (5 Panels)

Panel A- Wide Shot

I. Group of people surrounding someone, with worried looks across all their faces. Looking towards the viewer.

Panel B- Close up, enough for two figures

I. Josephine’s hand is gently placed on Mallard’s shoulder. Forlorn look on her face.

Josephine

“There was a train accident…a lot of people didn’t make it—I’m sorry dear, your husband…”

Panel C- Close up

I. Shocked expression in her face, tears running down one of the eyes already. Gasping.

Panel D- Pulled out

I. Josephine immediately holding her while she cries. Looks as if Josephine is holding up all her weight.

Mrs. Mallard

“I…need to be alone. Please.”

Panel E.

I. Door closed behind her with her back to it, crying.

Page 2 (4 Panels)

Panel A

I. Focus on arm chair, dark lighting except for light on the handle. Can see her in the background. (Chair in foreground)

Panel B

I. Falls back into the couch. Show her in a pose that shows her abandoning all of her “weight”.

Panel C (Close Up)

I. Show her face, eyes barely looking forward. Light hitting face

Panel D

I. Clouds and outside scenery through the window. Show her sitting in front of this, with sobbing noises.

Page 3 (4 Panels)

Panel A (Small)

I. Fingers gripping the chair arm.

Panel B

I. An increase in shadow appears to be surrounding her. Face colored red. A sense of struggle in her body pose.

Panel C (Small Close Up)

Mrs. Mallard

“Free free free!”

Panel D (Pulled Out)

I. A sense of joy, almost sensual, is apparent on her as she laughs slightly.

Page 4 (4 Panels)

Panel A (Bleeds down)

I. Hands reaching up, towards the clouds seen past the window or to the ceiling.

Mrs. Mallard

“My future…MY future! Finally, it belongs to me!”

Panel B (Flashbacks)

I. Her husband’s face looking at her, smiling.

Mrs. Mallard

“Darling, I did love you…”

Panel C (Flashbacks)

I. Scene of her in foreground. Husband arguing in background, inside kitchen.

Mrs. Mallard

“except for sometimes…”

Panel D (Larger)

I. Shot of her face, slight smile on it.

Mrs. Mallard

“Free! Body and soul free!!”

Page 5 (5 Panels)

Panel A

I. Josephine outside the door, kneeling. Worried look still on her face.

Josephine

“Louise, open the door! I beg you! Open the door..

Panel B (Larger)

I. Inside the room, Josephine’s words can be heard through the door.

Josephine

“You will make yourself ill! What are you doing Louise? For heaven’s sake, open the door.”

Mrs. Mallard

“Go away. I am not making myself ill.”

Panel C (Small)

I. Close up on her eyes/zooming into them.

Panel D (Visions of her future)

I. Her happy in a summer dress. Wind blowing.

Panel E (Visions of her future)

Page 6 (4 Panels)

Panel A

I. Mrs. Mallard slid down to her knees from the chair.

Mrs. Mallard

“Please Lord, please..”

Panel B (Larger)

I. Hands clasped, finishing her prayer. Smiling.

Mrs. Mallard

“Let my life be long!”

Panel C

I. Mrs. Mallard rises to her feet and straightens her dress.

Panel D

I. She opens the door, hands clasping the doorknob.

Page 7

Panel A

I. She grabs her sister, hugging her around the waist.

Panel B

I. Shows her face, eyes look victorious and happy, slight smile on her face.

Panel C

I. Both walking down the stairs together, still holding on to each other. Richard can be seen at the bottom (Both girls in foreground)

Panel D

I. Can see front door handle opening and wobbling.

Page 8

Panel A

I. Brently Mallard enters the house, looks dirty, with his umbrella and bag on his side, obviously exhausted.

Panel B

I. Mrs. Mallard’s eye fixates on Brently’s form.

Panel C

I. Josephine is screaming while Richard moves, almost obstructing Brently’s view.

Page 9

Panel A (Splash)

I. Mrs. Mallard laying on the ground, dead from a heart attack. Everyone is visible on this page, some people in them idle of rushing over, others shocked or turning away.

No comments:

Post a Comment